Tuesday, May 25, 2010



The Mission is a funny place.
I've discovered that the best place for me is on the outskirts of the Mission where it is bright and pretty and the cafes and restaurants around are likewse. I'm not brave enough to venture into the depths of it to find my next meal as I'm not sure what I might find. I am up for recommendations of places by friends but going by past experience of getting a burrito at 3am in a random place is a big no bueno.

Tartine on Guerrero street is a beautiful little bakery/cafe in the Mission district and when the mood strikes for a warm pressed sandwich this is the place to go.
Their country levain bread is so far some of the best bread I've had in the city. For me this bread with similar characteristics of a ciabatta and the slight flavour of a sourdough makes for a great pressed sandwich.

I'm a fan of the spicy sopressata, fontina and broccoli rabe pesto. The oil from the pesto oozes through the bread during toasting and makes it all the better, and whomever came up with a broccoli pesto, genius!!

As a baker and a foodie Tartine for me is a great place to lunch when you have time to sit and relax and watch the world go by.

No comments:

Post a Comment