Monday, May 24, 2010




So I get cravings for certain random things like nobody's business. Like fried mushrooms,a baked potato and Heinz beans, scrambled eggs and smoked salmon, baked banana's etc. I have even gone as far as reconstructing dinners I had in boarding school (mashed potato, sausage rolls and tinned spaghetti) but I left the lumps out of the mash.



Anyway recently I have craved roast chicken. Where better to go in the city and get roast chicken then Zuni cafe on Market. Done in their wood fired brick oven their roast chicken for two is their signature dish. It takes an hour to cook so be prepared for the wait.



Being the smart girls that we are instead on filling up on bread in this time myself and my friend Amanda decided it best to save our appetite and get liqueured up right nice on their hose Cab Sauv instead. Thus saving our calories and wetting our appetite for our chicken.


When the wait was finally over our chicken arrives portioned on top of a bread salad with pine nuts and currants surrounded by frisee lettuce (don't get me started on frisee lettuce).


The bread salad had great texture and flavour but the currants and pine nuts were few and far between.As for the chicken, it was just that, a chicken. The skin wasn't crispy and it didn't have exceptional flavour that I would have hoped for.


For $48 I expected the chicken to do a dance on the table. However Zuni is a great restaurant. The ambiance, decor and staff make it a lovely dining experience so I will be going back, just not for the chicken.




FYI -The menu on line is a sample menu in case you go thinking you are having creme brulee for dessert only for the waiter to tell you its not on this present menu. I was devastated but I didn't want the waiter to see me cry so I held it together and had rhubarb crumble instead.




No comments:

Post a Comment